November 13, 2011

Things Learned at GPUG Summit 2011

We had a great time at Summit 2011 in Las Vegas last week.  In addition to the awesome learning experience at Summit, my much better half Sheila and I took some time to drive out to the Grand Canyon, tour Hoover Dam, walk up and down the Vegas Strip a couple of times and even visit the Pawn Stars Shop!

I taught a couple of classes and provided a couple more presentations.  One of the reasons I like doing these things is because I always learn something new about GP that I've never seen before.  This particular tidbit of knowledge is courtesy of Kristen Tennant of WEL Companies in Wisconsin who attended my Beyond the Basics - Financials class.

I've known for quite some time how useful the Navigation Lists that became available in GP 10 are.  What I didn't realize is that these lists can be customized in very much the same manner as you create SmartList Favorites.  Here's how you do it:

1. Open the Navigation List you want to customize
2. Click on the list name and select 'Save As'
3. In the Save As box, give the list a new name like 'My Account Transactions'
4. Click OK

*click image to enlarge

Now you have a new Navigation List called My Account Transactions that you can customize.

*click image to enlarge

When you click on Customize, the List View Customization window opens where you can add or remove Columns, modify the Action Pane associated with your list, modify list Sharing settings and more.

* click image to enlarge

For example, click on the blue arrow next to Columns to open the Columns Details window:

* click image to enlarge

And if none of these options suit your list needs, you can always use Navigation List Builder to create a custom list from scratch.  Navigation List Builder works very similarly to SmartList Builder and is available as an option under the SmartList Builder menu.

Thank you so much Kristen for this very useful tip!!

No comments: